Sunday, June 28, 2015

hawaiian chicken (or huli huli chicken)...



I am constantly looking for new ways to make chicken. My husband made this for a neighborhood luau last summer and it was a hit. I'm a little disappointed that it took me a year to make it again! Plus, with 100 degree temps I'm not interested in turning the oven on or standing in front of a hot stove to cook chicken.
This recipe calls for chicken thighs...going to be completely honest here, I would probably prefer this with chicken cutlets. I'm not a huge fan of dark meat. However, chicken thighs are definitely more moist and much less expensive. So, go with whatever you prefer.

*Note...I cut this recipe in half for six people. Recipe, as shown, makes 12 plus servings

1 cup packed brown sugar 
3/4 cup ketchup 
3/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce 
1/3 cup chicken broth 
2 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger*
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic 
24 boneless skinless chicken thighs 

In a small bowl, mix the first six ingredients. Reserve 1 1/3 cups for basting; cover and refrigerate. Divide remaining marinade btwn two large re sealable plastic bags. Add chicken thighs to each; seal bags and turn to coat. Refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight.

Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes per side or until no longer pink; baste occasionally with reserved marinade during the last 5 minutes.

*you can purchase a large piece of ginger and keep in an air tight container/bag in the freezer. Peel using the back of a spoon. Grate or mince finely.

Recipe adapted from Taste of Home


No comments: