Monday, December 15, 2008

popovers...





1 1/2 Tbsp butter, melted, plus softened butter for greasing pans
1 1/2 cups flour
3/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups milk, at room temperature

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees .
Generously grease popover pans with softened butter. You’ll need enough pans to make 12 popovers. Place the pans in the oven for exactly 2 minutes to preheat. Meanwhile, whisk together the flour, salt, eggs, milk, and melted butter until smooth. The batter will be thin. Fill the popover pans half full and bake for exactly 30 minutes. DO NOT PEEK.

I have always wanted to try to make these. I was a little put-off at first that I needed to buy a special pan...especially after a lengthy search and no time to head to the baking supply store...I got lucky and happened upon a popover pan at Target (of all places) for $11. Score! Popovers can seem a little daunting, but this is just one where the recipe needs to be followed EXACTLY, and I promise it will turn out. This is another fabulous Ina Garten specialty. They were a nice change from bread or rolls, and perfect for a special occasion.

3 comments:

Annie Miller said...

Thank you thank you thank you for the search wiget!!!! You blog is my reciepe book and you just made my life so much easier :) No more scrolling for my favorite raviolis. These popovers look divine btw!

diane said...

How do you do it? Are these the same as Yorkshire Pudding?

alison said...

These look amazing!