Tuesday, September 9, 2008

banana bread...



Banana Bread (recipe from the Joy of Cooking)

1 1/3 cups flour

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

5 1/3 Tbsp butter; room temp

2/3 cup sugar

2 large eggs; lightly beaten

1 cup mashed very ripe bananas

1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 in. loaf pan (or three mini loaf pans). Whisk dry ingredients together thoroughly. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar on high speed, about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the flour mixture until blended and the consistency of brown sugar. Gradually beat in eggs. Fold in bananas & nuts. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 50-60 min. for large pan; 25-30 for small pans. Let cool in the pan (s) on a rack for 5-10 min before unmolding to cool completely on rack.

When life gives you overripe bananas, or when your kids decide they don't like bananas in their true form anymore...make banana bread & they will DEVOUR it!

4 comments:

diane said...

I'll have banana bread for my birthday. You can deliver it before noon or after 2:00. Ummmm k?
Thanks!

alison said...

your pictures look great! I'm making some bread today!

Judy and KC said...

I made this great bread and I LOVE it! It has a great texture and taste. In the directions, is the butter supposed to be creamed with the sugar? (It says eggs, but I couldn't see where the butter was supposed to go in, so I thought maybe it was a typo) Thanks for sharing such great recipes.

Annemarie said...

Judy, it was a typo and I fixed it! So sorry...I'm glad it worked out for you.