Thursday, September 11, 2008

crispy, chewey oatmeal cookies...



1 cup butter; room temp
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs; room temp
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
chocolate chips

Combine dry ingredients; set aside. Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy, 2-3 min. Add vanilla and eggs and mix until well combined. Add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Stir in oats and chocolate chips. Bake at 350 degrees on greased or lined cookie sheets 10-12 min.

I've been looking for a good oatmeal cookie recipe. Somehow I have told myself if there are oats in the cookies, they must be healthy (especially with that cup of butter and 2 cups of sugar...who asked you, anyways??)
These were good. I won't lie...they were not my favorite when they first came out of the oven, but the next day...look out. This is a problem for me. I usually only like cookies straight from the oven and don't even care about them after that. Well, these are the EXACT opposite. Great. Especially since I doubled the recipe.
I actually froze little cookie dough balls on baking sheets, then just tossed them in a Ziploc bag to keep in the freezer. You never know when you might need a treat for an unexpected visitor, a hostess gift, a quick after school snack, etc.
Oh, who am I kidding?? I just like taking a ball of dough out of the freezer and popping it in my mouth. Did I mention how DIVINE the dough is?

5 comments:

Lindz said...

I love your pictures, and I love how artsy the oats look on your counter...mine coutners currently look like that, and I haven't had oatmeal for days!!

diane said...

Those look so yummy! Do they mail well?

Kelley said...

Your recipes are all so amazing and the PICTURES!!!! You really should publish your own cookbook with pictures / of course!

Pyatt said...

Hi my friend...I just made these for sharing time in primary!! HUGE HIT!!! My hubby liked them too!

Anonymous said...

I did a google image search for a crispy oatmeal cookie recipe, and came across yours. I just made these tonight for the first time. They came out looking just like the ones in your picture. I love the crispy edges and chewy centers. I can see how you might like them better the next day too.
My 3 year old just tiptoed past me to get a second helping of them, and she's very picky about oatmeal cookies!
Thanks for the info,
Liz