Wednesday, March 11, 2009

spring risotto with peas & parmesan...




2 cans (14.5 ounces each) plus 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
2 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish

Heat 2 cans of broth and 2 1/2 cups water in a saucepan over low heat; keep warm. Meanwhile, melt 1 Tbsp butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook until soft, about 5 min. Season with salt & pepper. Raise heat to medium. Add rice; cook; stirring until translucent around the edges, about 3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth; cook until absorbed, about 2 minutes.
Cook the rice, adding 1 cup hot broth at a time (stirring constantly until almost all of the liquid is absorbed before adding more), until tender, 25-30 min total.
Add the peas; cook until they are a bright green, 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the remaining tablespoon butter and the Parmesan. Serve, topped with more cheese.

I got the Everyday Food cookbook from a cookbook exchange last Christmas and have had my eye on this particular recipe for quite a while. I have always wanted to try my hand at risotto, but knew it was a little time consuming...and quite frankly, wasn't sure when I would have the time to stand at my stove and stir for 30 min straight. Dinner time/homework time/hungry/tired kids time = no time to make a labor intensive risotto for dinner. Well, I made the time and am sooooo glad I did. Totally worth it. This was delicious. I changed the recipe a little from the original (omitted zucchini). Had I been a little more on the ball I would have added asparagus tips, as well. I will add them next time, because there will definitely be a next time for this recipe!
(6 servings=6 pts per serving)

2 comments:

diane said...

The best risotto I ever had was in Venice. Kinda braggy I know.

This looks delightful.
Ciao bella.

Maria said...

Love the spring dish!! Hopefully spring will come soon:)